Wisdom Way Solar Village
Rural Development, Inc. (RDI), with the help of many partners, built a village of twenty Near Zero Net Energy condominiums in Greenfield, MA. These homes are third party certified through the Massachusetts New Homes with Energy Star program and the LEED for Homes program to be the best in green, super energy efficient building. RDI received funding from the Massachusetts Community Based Housing Program to build two rental homes within the village that are fully accessible for people in wheelchairs. All twenty homes are visit-able by people in wheelchairs. Wisdom Way Solar Village is a mixed-ability, mixed-income village.
To be eligible for a homeownership opportunity, you must meet the following guidelines:
1. First-time homebuyer. A first-time homebuyer is defined as an individual or an individual and his or her spouse who have not owned a home during the 3 year period before the purchase of a home under the Program, except that:
(1) Any individual who is a displaced homemaker (as defined by HUD) may not be excluded from consideration as a first-time homebuyer on the basis that the individual, while a homemaker, owned a home with his or her spouse or resided in a home owned by the spouse;
(2) Any individual who is a single parent (as defined by HUD) may not be excluded from consideration as a first-time homebuyer under this definition on the basis that the individual, while married, owned a home with his or her spouse or resided in a home owned by the spouse; and
(3) An individual may not be excluded from consideration as a first-time homebuyer on the basis that the individual owns or owned, as a principal residence during the 3-year period before the purchase of a home under the Program, a dwelling unit whose structure is:
(i) Not permanently affixed to a permanent foundation in accordance with local or other applicable regulations; or
(ii) Not in compliance with State, local, or model building codes, or other applicable codes, and cannot be brought into compliance with such codes for less than the cost of constructing a permanent structure.
2. Able to obtain a mortgage. Along with your application please submit to RDI a mortgage pre-qualification letter obtained within the last sixty days from a lender for an amount sufficient to purchase one of these homes. The mortgage needs to be a 30 year fixed rate conforming mortgage with zero points.
3. Asset limit of $75,000. The total gross household asset limitation is $75,000. This includes all liquid assets and restricted accounts such as retirement accounts.
4. Primary residence. The home you purchase in the Wisdom Way Solar Village must be your primary residence. Renting the home to others is not permitted.
5. Agree to affordability restrictions. In the subsidized homes measures are in place to keep the homes affordable to people with low and moderate income. There are resale restrictions that include contacting RDI to find another low-income buyer, and there is a limit on the resale price. If you purchase one of these homes you will sign a “deed rider” that will describe the conditions and your responsibilities.
6. First time home buyer workshop. All people who will be on the mortgage or on the title of the home are required to take an approved first time home buyers workshop before they can purchase a home through this program. You do not need to submit a certificate of completion with the application but you will be required to submit one before you can actually purchase the home.
CURRENT PROPERTIES FOR SALE: None
In addition, RDI has retained ownership of the two fully accessible homes and rented these to eligible people with physical disabilities. There are separate eligibility requirements and a separate application process for these rental homes. To begin the application process to get on the waiting list for these accessible homes please contact RDI at 413-863-9781.